Android 2.3.6 XXJVU is a Gingerbread ROM for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 (PLEASE NOTE: THIS ROM IS FOR GT I9000, THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION ONLY AND NOT FOR I9000b OR CAPTIVATE OR VIBRANT) The ROM that we are about to install is the OFFICIAL ROM released by Samsung for Europe (Release Date: December, 2011)
The changelog for 2.3.6 XXJVU is as follows:
- Face Unlock from Galaxy Nexus
- Galaxy Note Lockscreen
- Galaxy S2 Photo Editor
- Improved Camera App
- Ability to take picture while taking videos
- Fast auto-rotation response
- New Lockscreen sounds
- Enhanced stock browser
- Smoother and faster Gallery 3D
- Higher FPS rate in 3D
- Minor changes in the UI
Some of the prerequisites to be followed:
- Take the back-up of all the apps: To do so, in case you have a rooted phone, you may use Titanium Backup from Android Market. If you don’t have rooted phone, you can use Astro File Manager (Available in Android Market for free) to take the backup.
- Backup of contacts: Mostly all the Android devices are preset to sync the contacts with the gmail account. In-case, you have disabled it, you can enable it by getting into Contacts–>Options–>More–>Accounts and select the google account and check mark the sync contacts option.
- Taking back-up of Call Logs and Messages: You can use third party apps from android market like SMS Backup + (Again freely available) which will sync your logs and messages to your gmail account as labels which can be easily restored later.
- Downloading the ROM file: I9000XXJVU_I9000OXAJVU_OXA.rar
- Downloading the ODIN & PIT files: Flashprogram_Samsung_I9000__Pits.rar
- Downloading the Drivers for the PC: SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0.zip
- Most importantly: KEEP YOUR PHONE FULL CHARGED OR AT-LEAST ABOVE 50% CHARGING LEVEL.
Once you are done with the prerequisites, you can move down to the installation procedure as below:
- Unzip the ROM, ODIN and Drivers to their respective folders in case it requires any password, it will be “samfirmware.com”
- Now, the first thing to be done is install the phone drivers on the PC which you are to use for flashing the ROM. To do this, navigate to SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0 folder and select the appropriate setup x86 or x64 based on the type of OS you are using on your PC.
- Once this one has been installed, get your GT I9000 in the download mode by using the 3-Button combo. For that, first switch off the phone and wait for it to vibrate a little just to confirm that it is completely switched off. Then, press the three buttons: Power Key, Volume Down and Home Key and hold until you see a green android saying “Downloading”
- Next, goto Flashprogram_Samsung_I9000__Pits folder and open I9003_Odin3 v1.82.exe (Don’t bother the I9003 in the file name. It is compatible for I9000 also)
- Once ODIN has be opened, connect your phone to the PC while it is in download mode. Once connected, an “Added” remark will appear on the message window.
- Next, click on the PIT button, navigate to the Flashprogram_Samsung_I9000__Pits folder and select s1_odin_20100512.pit
- Then, click on the PDA button, navigate to the I9000XXJVU_I9000OXAJVU_OXA folder and select the CODE_I9000XXJVU_CL851880_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 file.
- Then, click on the PHONE button, navigate to the I9000XXJVU_I9000OXAJVU_OXA folder and select the MODEM_I9000XXJVU_REV_00_CL1092175.tar.md5 file.
- Then, click on the CSC button, navigate to the I9000XXJVU_I9000OXAJVU_OXA folder and select the GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVU.tar.md5 file.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE FILE PROPERLY AS ABOVE AND DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE CONTINUING FURTHER.
- Next, make sure that Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time have been check marked.
- Once all the above steps are done, click on Start button and wait for the message window to show “All threads completed” and “Pass” displayed on the top left box.
The phone will then automatically reboot. You can now disconnect the cable. Meanwhile, the phone will get into the first time setup, where in you can setup the basic services like the wifi, data usage and gmail sync etc…
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THIS IS THE OFFICIAL ROM BY SAMSUNG, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY. PLEASE FLASH THE ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK. IN CASE OF ANY DOUBTS OR PROBLEMS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMUNICATE THEM VIA THE COMMENTS AND THEY SHALL BE ADDRESSED ASAP.
SOURCE FOR THE ROM, FLASHING SOFTWARE, DRIVERS: http://samfirmware.com