Samsung recently released the Android 2.3.6 XXJVU for Europe for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 (International Version). Incase you are looking for rooting the same, follow the tutorial below:
PLEASE NOTE: ROOTING THE PHONE VOIDS THE WARRANTY. PLEASE CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Incase you are looking for the installation of Android 2.3.6 navigate to the tutorial here.
Some of the prerequisites to be followed:
- Take the back-up of all the apps: To do so, in case you have a rooted phone, you may use Titanium Backup from Android Market. If you don’t have rooted phone, you can use Astro File Manager (Available in Android Market for free) to take the backup.
- Backup of contacts: Mostly all the Android devices are preset to sync the contacts with the gmail account. In-case, you have disabled it, you can enable it by getting into Contacts–>Options–>More–>Accounts and select the google account and check mark the sync contacts option.
- Taking back-up of Call Logs and Messages: You can use third party apps from android market like SMS Backup + (Again freely available) which will sync your logs and messages to your gmail account as labels which can be easily restored later.
- Download the zip file: CF-Root-XW_TMN_JVU-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip
- Downloading the ODIN & PIT files: Flashprogram_Samsung_I9000__Pits.rar
- Downloading the Drivers for the PC: SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0.zip
Once done with the prerequisites, carryout the following steps:
- Unzip the ODIN, CF-Root-XW_TMN_JVU-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip and Drivers to their respective folders in case it requires any password, it will be “samfirmware.com”.
- Now, the first thing to be done is install the phone drivers on the PC which you are to use for flashing the ROM. To do this, navigate to SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0folder and select the appropriate setup x86 or x64 based on the type of OS you are using on your PC.
- Once this one has been installed, get your GT I9000 in the download mode by using the 3-Button combo. For that, first switch off the phone and wait for it to vibrate a little just to confirm that it is completely switched off. Then, press the three buttons: Power Key, Volume Downand Home Key and hold until you see a green android saying “Downloading”
- Next, goto Flashprogram_Samsung_I9000__Pits folder and open I9003_Odin3 v1.82.exe (Don’t bother the I9003 in the file name. It is compatible for I9000 also)
- Once ODIN has be opened, connect your phone to the PC while it is in download mode. Once connected, an “Added” remark will appear on the message window.
- Then, click on the PDA button, navigate to the CF-Root-XW_TMN_JVU-v4.3-CWM3RFS.tar and select it.
- Next, click on start and wait for a minute or so until message window shows “All threads completed” and “Pass” displayed on the top left box.
- The phone will then automatically reboot.
DISCLAIMER: ROOTING THE PHONE WILL VOID THE WARRANTY. PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SAME. PLEASE ROOT THE ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK. IN CASE OF ANY DOUBTS OR PROBLEMS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMUNICATE THEM VIA THE COMMENTS AND THEY SHALL BE ADDRESSED ASAP.