TeamHacksung today released a new build, Build 17 for the much awaited Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000, the CyanogenMod 9 (CM9). The changelog for the Build 17 is as follows:
- Top of widget selection selector says “Select screen lock” (Upstream fix)
- Chrome not working
- Various other upstream fixes
- Camera does not support scene modes
- FM Radio does not work.
- Phone unnecessarily gets data connection on device encryption password enter screen.
- Cannot format external SD
- Android OS battery usage display higher than normal.
- Sometime wrong SMS selected for forwarding
- Format internal instead of external SD when requested to format ext. SD
- Transfer speed slows down when screen off
- Gallery face glow FCs
- Screenshot shutter sound
- Camera crashes when changing resolution
- TV Out using HW-decoding (probably won’t be fixed)
- Sim Toolkit (probably won’t be fixed)
- No camera focus mode setting
- Back camera does not record geotagging
- Compass doesn’t work in Google Maps v6
- Unable to dial “0001” in some regions
- Regression in BUILD 15: Data Roaming enabled by default
- Slow USB transfer speed for some people
- Camera still photos problem after recording video
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ROM IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S GT I9000 ONLY!!!
Some pre-requisites to be followed are:
- Taking the back-up: This is a must thing that should be done. Get into Clockworkmod Recovery and select backup. It would take around 10 minutes to complete the backup. Please make sure that the battery is fully charged.
- Alternatively, you can take the back up of only the apps using Astro File Manager or Titanium Backup which are freely available in the android market.
- Also, to take up the backup of sms and call logs you may use SMS Backup+ which again is freely available in android market. It syncs your call logs and sms as labels to your gmail account.
Now, for the Installation of the CM9, the following downloads must be made and copied to the root folder of the phone:
- ROM: BUILD 17: tux-head.net / faramir.eriador.org / ics.haxer.org
- Google Apps: v7.1: Download ROM MANAGER Free from Android Market to install
- Face Unlock: v6: Bundled with Google Apps installed using ROM MANAGER
- Google Apps Fixer: MultiUpload / tux-head.net / faramir.eriador.org
—Make sure the the device has 100% battery so that, there aren’t any problems during the flashing—
Now, to flash this ROM, it is necessary that your current ROM is a rooted one. If not, then please head here to install Android 2.3.6 and root it from here. Then, you may continue installing CM9 by doing the following:
To enter into recovery mode one needs to press the three button combo:
- Get into Recovery Mode
- Clean Cache and do Factory reset.
- Install ROM from sdcard. For this enter into the recovery, move to install zip from sdcard using the Volume Up/Down Keys, and click on the Home key to enter. Then select choose zip from sdcard and in the next screen navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Install Google Apps (Optional): For this first ROM Manager has to be installed from the Android Market (Free). Once that is done, open ROM Manager, at opening the app, it will ask for the SuperUser rights. Click on allow. Next, navigate to the Download ROM under the ROM Management section. Under the Free tab, loacate Google Apps. Select the latest one having the Subtitle as Recommended for CM9.xx. (At the time of publishing this tutorial, “20120304 ICS” was the latest one.
- Install Google Apps Fixer (If installed Google Apps): For this enter into the recovery, move to install zip from sdcard using the Volume Up/Down Keys, and click on the Home key to enter. Then select choose zip from sdcard and in the next screen navigate to the gapps_fixer.zip file and select it. Please note that, here, if the google sync does not work even after installing the Google Apps Fixer, do a Factory Reset and Do Not restore the data backup made by Titanium Backup.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT TRYING TO FORMAT THE EXTERNAL SD CARD WILL NOT FORMAT IT BUT INSTEAD IT WILL FORMAT THE INTERNAL MEMORY CARD**
If you have actually read and tried all these instructions and are still stuck PLEASE POST YOUR PROBLEMS IN IN THE COMMENTS SECTION AND THEY WILL GET ADDRESSED ASAP.