Team 3xtr3m3 from XDA Developer Forums lead by el_navajita recently released the v1.1 for it ICS ROM called ICS333 based on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 with features covering those offered by CM9 and AOKP for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 (International). The developers have tried to focus on providing stability and a better stock experience through this ROM. The main features of the ROM are:
- Built from Android sources (IMM76I)
- Improved notification bar toggles: long press a toggle to go to related Settings menu; multi-state sound toggle.
- Numeric battery indicator (Optional – can be changed to stock battery indicator in Settings -> Battery -> Press Menu Button -> Change battery style).
- Brightness control in status and notifications bars (Optional – can be disabled in Settings -> Display -> Brightness control slider)
- Real and improved autobrightness: brightness really goes down when light decreases.
- Extended power menu with reboot, recovery and screenshot.
- Video face effects working
- Application killing with long press on back button
- Choose storage in Camera application
- Power button shooter in Camera application
- Timer option in Camera application
- T9 Dialer
- Removed “R” roaming indicator for national roaming
- Root, Busybox and SuperSU
- Kernel Semaphore 1.2.0s (387 MB RAM)
- HugeMem patch for 720p video by F4K
- Preinstalled app: OI File Manager
- APN’s predefined huge list
- Modified hosts file to remove ads in applications.
- Added an option to show/hide the brightness control slider of the notifications bar (Go to Settings -> Display -> Brightness control slider).
- Added an option to change between stock battery icon and numeric battery icon (Go to Settings -> Battery -> Press Menu Button -> Change battery style).
- Tried to prevent an infrequent soft reboot when loading the lock screen.
- Fixed missing kernel modules in 1.0.1 version.
- Updated kernel to Semaphore 1.2.0s.
- Added timer option to Camera app (thanks to CM9)
- Improved stability when connecting to Bluetooth headsets
- Updated SuperSU
- Removed Barcode Scanner
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ROM IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S GT I9000 (INTERNATIONAL) ONLY!!
To install this ROM, some pre-requisites to be followed are:
- Taking the back-up: You can take the back up of only the apps using Astro File Manager or Titanium Backup (Root Users) which are freely available in the android market.
- Also, to take up the backup of sms and call logs you may use SMS Backup+ which again is freely available in android market. It syncs your call logs and sms as labels to your gmail account.
- Root users can make a nandroid backup using the Clockworkmod Recovery App.
Now, for the Installation of ICS333, the following downloads must be made and copied to the root folder of the phone (On the Internal SD Card):
—Make sure the the device has 100% battery so that, there aren’t any problems during the flashing—
To avoid any flashing problems, I would recommend you to be on Android 2.3.6
Now, to flash this ROM, it is necessary that your current ROM is a rooted one. If not, then please head here to install Android 2.3.6 and root it from here. Then, you may continue installing ICS333 by doing the following: To enter into recovery mode one needs to press the three button combo:
- Get into Recovery Mode
- Clean Cache and do Factory reset by selecting the wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition options. Also, get into the advanced section and use the Wipe Dalvik Cache too.
- Install ROM from sdcard. For this enter into the recovery, move to install zip from sdcard using the Volume Up/Down Keys, and click on the Home key to enter. Then select choose zip from sdcard and in the next screen navigate to the ROM file (ICS333-1.1-signed.zip in this case) and select it.
- In case you get into a boot loop, please execute Step No. 2 & 3 again.
- Once this is done, again get into recovery, move to install zip from sdcard using the Volume Up/Down Keys, and click on the Home key to enter. Then select choose zip from sdcard and in the next screen navigate to the gapps zip file and install it.
WARNING: THIS ROM IS IN ITS DEVELOPMENT STAGE AND MAY NOT BE FULLY FUNCTIONAL. SO THERE ARE ALL THE CHANCES OF HAVING INSTANCES WHEN WIFI/DATA DOESN’T WORK. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS ISSUE FIRST AND THEN INSTALL THE ROM.
If you have actually read and tried all these instructions and are still stuck PLEASE POST YOUR PROBLEMS IN IN THE COMMENTS SECTION AND THEY WILL GET ADDRESSED ASAP.